List:       mozilla-license
Subject:    Re: 1.2 Section B vs #include'd files
From:       Craig Milo Rogers <rogers () ISI ! EDU>
Date:       1998-03-26 6:10:53

>The NPL reads, in part:
>1.2. ``Modifications'' means any addition to or deletion from the substance
>or structure of either the Original Code or any previous Modifications. When
>Covered Code is released as a series of files, a Modification is:
>
>A. Any addition to or deletion from the contents of a file containing
>Original Code or previous Modifications.
>B. Any new file that contains any part of the Original Code or previous
>Modifications.
>============
>Does a file that #include's an NPL'd file fall under NPL? I can't believe it
>does, since how else would I call any NPL'd API (i.e. I need the function
>prototypes)?
>
>In other words, NPL authorizes me to #include NPL'd code in my programs and
>my programs aren't then NPL'd. Correct?

	Usual disclaimer:  I'm not a lawyer, and the following isn't
legal advice.

	Just to be certain, we need to narrow down your use of the
word "program", above.  Your source program (ie, the file containing
the "#include") won't be automatically NPL'ed due to the #include --
that's standard copyright convention.  Your executable program (ie,
any object files that result from the compilation and/or linking of
your source file) may or may not be a combined work.  If it is a
combined work, then you have created what the NPL calls a Larger Work.
However, I don't see any requirement that you actually do anything
under NPL Section 3 if you create a Larger Work without any
Modifications of your own.

	Are your object files combined works?  The conventional
guideline is that interface definitions aren't copyrightable.
However, if the #included file held more than just interface
definitions -- say, for instance, you include Mozzilla's "main.c" or
equivalent, then your object file is likely to be a combined work, at
the very least.

	This does bring up an interesting issue.  What is the status of
an executable that you modify directly, such as by using an object code
editor?  I'll start a new thread for this.

					Craig Milo Rogers