List:       mozilla-license
Subject:    Re: Npl & private use issue.
From:       Daniel Veditz <dveditz () netscape ! com>
Date:       2003-01-14 22:37:13

Gervase Markham wrote:
>>I've _added_ a few lines of code in the navigator.xul (licensed under
>>npl) file from chrome/comm.jar, my questions are
>>
>>can I use it for my customers under a different brand ?
>>can I distribute it under a different brand ?
>

> What do you mean by "under a different brand"? And when you say "it", do
> you mean your additions, or the entire file?

If by "brand" you mean can you distribute the "Eriam Schaffter" browser
rather than "Mozilla" then yes, that's what AOL does to produce the Netscape
browser. But the source code is still under the Mozilla Public License and
you must follow its requirements. These include telling your customers in
some prominent place that your product was derived from Mozilla code and
where they can get the source code (for details see the license). Since you
have modified the basic Mozilla source you must also distribute your
Modifications.