List:       mozilla-layout
Subject:    Re: Three layout issues
From:       Angus Davis <angus () netscape ! com>
Date:       1998-09-25 21:32:56

Steve Clark wrote:

> 2) Nav treats the whitespace as significant, while IE does not.  Our current
> implementation is biased towards Nav compatibility. We have the hooks
> partially in place to specify the desired compatibility mode.

Whitespace shouldn't be significant in this case. This appears to be a bug in
Nav.

This area of Nav compatibility is not desirable for content developers (since
content isn't depending on this bug) and should be deprecated. Actually, I get
mail from content developers asking us to fix this bug in Nav all the time -
people want to know why there is extra space in their tables, etc.

Let's ignore the whitespace as HTML 4.0 intended; this is not a bug we should
carry over from Navigator.
-angus