List:       mozilla-layout
Subject:    Re: NGLayout on IRIX
From:       Greg Scallan <spider () netscape ! com>
Date:       1998-09-23 16:35:00

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

I was able to build and run NGLayout on my IRIX box several weeks ago.  I
had to make one change to config/IRIX.mk at about line 90:

LD=$(CCC)

I'm running IRIX 6.2 and the C++ compiler is 7.0 (Version 1232990010) and
the Execution Environment for C++ is 6.2 (Version 1232792120)

I'll pull a fresh tree today and see what I get.

Greg

Akkana wrote:

> I'd like to start up a discussion of the NGLayout problems on IRIX.
>
> The problem, as I understand it, is that the IRIX 6.2 and 6.3 compilers
> have problems with virtual function pointers inside complex class
> hierarchies.  Specifically, nsHTMLContent inherits from nsIHTMLContent,
> nsIScriptObjectOwner, nsIDomEventReceiver, and nsIDOMNode, all of which
> inherit from nsISupports, which has a virtual member function
> QueryInterface().  When we call QueryInterface on the nsHTMLContent
> object, it dereferences the wrong vptr (or something) and crashes.
>
> People here haven't had much luck with the IRIX 6.4 compiler on
> Mozilla.  Has anyone outside of Netscape had better luck?  (The IRIX
> compiler I'm using -- from "showprods -n c++_dev.sw c++_eoe.sw" -- is
> 1232990010 for c++_dev, 1263370535 for c++_eoe.  Is it possible there's
> a patch available?)
>
> I've been trying to use gcc version 2.7.2.1 for IRIX to compile
> NGLayout to see if that might get around the inheritance problem, but
> the build dies when gcc gets an internal error trying to link nsprpub's
> libnspr21.so:
>
> ld: FATAL 2: Internal: at ../../ld3264/relocate.c merge_ext returns nil
> during relocation
>
> Are there any other IRIX users out there who have been trying to build
> NGLayout, or who have experience with the 6.4 compiler, patches for the
> 6.3 compiler, or newer versions of gcc on IRIX?  Speak up, let's pool
> our resources and see if we can figure this one out and get it working.
>
>         ...Akkana

["spider.vcf" (text/x-vcard)]
["smime.p7s" (application/x-pkcs7-signature)]