List:       mozilla-java
Subject:    Q: Applets and Document Encoding
From:       "Joel Marcey" <joel.i.marcey () intel ! com>
Date:       1998-06-10 18:34:37

Greetings,

I have a Java applet that accepts parameters from an HTML page. For
example:

    <APPLET CODE="myApplet.class" WIDTH=426 HEIGHT=266>
    <PARAM NAME=temp VALUE="Hello">

With the encoding set to the default 'Western', the applet runs fine.
However, when I set the document encoding to 'Japanese (auto-detect)',
the applet fails to run due to, what I believe, is a communication
between the parameters and the applet (something in the string
translation, maybe). The failure occurs in the 'getParameter()' line of
the 'init()' method of the applet. I tried an applet that did not accept
parameters under Japanese encoding and it worked fine, so it is a
logical conclusion that it has something to do with the parameter
passing.

I tried this under Netscape 3.04. I am not sure about Communicator; I could
never get the encoding to keep the changes.

Please provide feedback as I am in need of an answer to this question.

Thanks,
Joel Marcey

--
Joel Marcey