List:       mozilla-i18n
Subject:    Re: document about specifying a charset for internet search
From:       Naoki Hotta <nhotta () netscape ! com>
Date:       2000-06-30 17:29:34

Mikhail Khlopotov wrote:

> Naoki Hotta wrote:
> >
> > I wrote a small document about charset specification for internet search
> > (used for sidebar search).
> > Here is a link to the document.
> > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/intl/internet_search_charset_spec.html
>
> Excellent document, but here is the question:
>
> How to specify needed encodings?  They will vary from one client to
> another, and they WILL
> be different even for one search engine.  I mean that one in Russia will
> use KOI8 with GOOGLE,
> and one in Japan will use EUC-JP.
One data set file is specified for one search engine.
By looking at searchplugins directory in mozilla, there are data set
files (for Netcenter, AOL, etc.).
In UI, the user can specify which search engine to use and multiple
search engine can be selected.
The result document has tabs to switch through multiple search engine
results.

Naoki

> Should the encodings be specified in Locale??  Most probably not, cause
> user can use any kind of locale
> and still do a Russian searches.
Encoding/charset of a search engine to be specified, not clinet locale.