List:       mozilla-i18n
Subject:    Re: Question about charsets
From:       Simon Montagu <simon () softel ! co ! il>
Date:       2000-06-12 7:08:12

Xslf wrote:

> I am writing a document about logical Hebrew, but some things are not
> completely clear to me.
>
> What are the differences between windows-1255 and ISO-8859-8I?
> And why should a web site arthur choose one over the other?
> Which would be better for a general web site and why?

That should be ISO-8859-8-i (note the third hyphen; no distinction is made
between lower case and upper case i, but I prefer lower case since upper case I
may be confused with digit 1 or lower case l in some fonts).

In principle, it's probably better to use the ISO standard rather than a
platform charset, but if an author needs the characters not available in ISO,
such as Hebrew vowel signs, the only choices are windows-1255, or of course
Unicode.

Simon