List:       mozilla-i18n
Subject:    Re: Charset switch
From:       Jungshik Shin <jshin () pantheon ! yale ! edu>
Date:       2000-02-17 20:21:23

In <38ABD59A.6F9D236A@certplus.com>, Jean-Marc Desperrier wrote:
: Katsuhiko Momoi wrote:

:> Jungshik Shin wrote:
:> >Something like what's been available
:> > in MS Outlook Express (as I suggested a few times in the past) for a
:> > long time is desirable.
:> > to cope with this problem,
:> > MS implemented user-configurable automatic 'override' option

: The way it's implemented in Microsoft is definitively not right.

  Well, the way they implemented might not be right but then
what I suggested is different from their way :-). What I want is
user-configurable mapping table among encodings for override (of course,
by default, this should be NULL set) and per-msg. NON-persistent override.
These two could be  combined with the global default,per-folder default
and MIME charset parameter  with different precedences.

: EVERYTIME you override the default display for a message, it's suggest this as a
: default for future message.
: Cliquing the "no" answer all the time is annoying.

  Yes, I agree this is annoying.  This should be just one-time
NON-persistent override. Of course, for the maximum flexibility, whether
or not this question is to be asked can be an option (off by default).

: And if one day you click "yes", the encoding for all future message in
: that format is
: changed and OE does not ask any question anymore.

: Usually when I receive message in 8859-1, they are in french.
: But I also speak some japanese and sometimes receive messages in 8859-1 that are
: truely in japanese.
: So I have to override the setting, but if I mistakenly click "yes" to the question
: "apply this to future messages", all my messages in french are now displayed in
: japanese.
: In order to correct this, I have to search for the hard to find "suppress
: auto-conversions" option deep inside many sub-menus.

  How about overriding this auto-conversion again? I thought
this is possible.

: I hate that.

  Your situation is exactly the opposite of most non-ISO-8859-1 users
for whom it's not so bad.  Anyway,  I agree it's a bad UI-design that
makes it so easy for users to mistakenly say 'yes' to such a question
of import.

   Jungshik Shin