List:       mozilla-i18n
Subject:    changing nsILocale interface
From:       tague () netscape ! com (Tague Griffith)
Date:       1999-07-29 4:01:31

All :-

I've been considering making some changes to the nsILocale interface as
part of making it scriptable.  Right now, I'm considering two questions
that I would like feedback on.

I wanted to reconsider the use of wstring and nsString as the type for
categories and keys.  I would like to move from wstring and nsString to
use char* buffers.  The specification for country and language codes
only considers ASCII text ; the implementation certainly only deals in
ASCII values.  Secondly, using char* buffers makes it much easier to
define constants on the various platforms.  I keep going back and forth
on this, since we are building a Unicode product -- I feel like I should
be using Unicode strings; however, using Unicode strings just seems like
it makes things harder for people.

Second, factories really can't be exposed through the JS scriptability,
so I'm creating a service that will take care of locale creation on the
JS side of things.  I was thinking that the best situation would be to
use the same API on both sides of the "wall" (so to speak), so I'd like
to eliminate the nsILocaleFactory interface in favor of a
nsILocaleService interface.

Any objections or comments?

/t