List:       mozilla-i18n
Subject:    Confused by localized Netscape Communicator
From:       zlist () iname ! com (Zoltan Csala)
Date:       1998-08-17 4:19:12

Hi!

The platform I'm working on is Windows NT 4.0, with Service Pack 3.

Recently I've started localizing Netscape Communicator 4.05. After reading
information on www.mozilla.org, I started whole process. The steps I took were
the following:

1. Downloaded Netscape Translation Tools (ToolCool and DogDev)
2. Downloaded accompanying documetation.
3. Downloaded files that need to be localized for Netscape Communicator
   version 4.05

Now comes the questionable part. I wasn't sure WHICH version to download,
so I took export FRENCH (!) version of Netscape Communicator (file cc32e405.exe)

4. Installed Netscape Translation tool.
5. Set default locale to Serbian (trying to localize Netscape in Serbian).
6. Rebooted my computer.
7. Installed Netscape Communicator 4.05 french version. Everything went fine.
8. Rebooted my computer.
9. Started ToolCool, made copy of .../En/... directory - copied it to "Sr"
10. Localized PREFUI32.DLL, NSNOTIFY.DLL, EDPREF32.DLL, NSMAILUI.DLL,
    MNPREF32.DLL and NPNULL32.DLL.

BEING IMPATIENT as I am :) I tried to TEST localized files. So I made backup
of respective files in French version and simply copied files to Communicator's
"Program" directory, where all other files are. I restarted Communicator,
hoping that changes I've made will be visible in program.

Guess what?

I got English messages in most of Communicator, French messages in
"Edit | Preferences" panels and Serbian labels on buttons for "OK", "Cancel"
and "Help". The question is: What went wrong? :)

If I overwrote French DLLs with my DLLs, where only English and Serbian
messages are supposed to be, how come Communicator still kept French messages
in part of it? Does version of Netscape someone want to translate HAVE TO be
English version? If yes, then what version is English export version, if such
thing exists?

Please help me, because yet another localized Netscape will be finished soon,
and we can welcome yet another language in Netscape, and of course, in Mozilla
family of languages.

Zoltan