List:       mozilla-gtk
Subject:    Re: Font too small for box
From:       TenThumbs <tenthumbs () cybernex ! net>
Date:       1999-07-20 18:00:51

Hervé Renault wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the solution is here :
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/release-notes/m8.html
>
> :: Issues With Small Fonts on Linux
> ::
> :: If the fonts are too small in your
> :: environment, it may be possible to alleviate this by setting a
> :: preference in Mozilla. Add a line like the following to the preferences
> :: file (~/.mozilla/prefs50.js):
> ::
> :: user_pref("browser.screen_resolution", 120);
> ::
> :: This sets the dpi to 120. If you set the pref to zero (0), Mozilla will
> :: use the X server's dpi value. If the pref is not set, it uses the
> :: default value of 96.
> :: There is some info about setting the X server's DPI value at
> :: http://www.mozilla.org/unix/dpi.html .
> :: If your fonts are still too small (or too large) after setting the DPI
> :: correctly, you can adjust the font size as follows: setenv
> :: GECKO_FONT_SIZE_FACTOR 1.5 Note that the latter only affects fonts. The
> :: screen_resolution preference affects anything that specifies absolute
> :: size (e.g. CSS "pt" points)
>
> it works on my machine.
> Regards.

But there's still something screwed up. I run 1024x768 on a 17 inch monitor.
If the diagonal measurement really were 17 inches that would be 75.3dpi; but
the diagonal is actually 16 inches which is 80dpi. Xdpyinfo reports 75 x 75
dpi which is pretty much right. Still, Mozilla renders the fonts way too
small. GTK does not because the menu bar fonts are close.

--
You picked Karl Malden's nose!!