List:       mozilla-general
Subject:    Re: AOL/Netscape employees..Read this one.
From:       jeet shahani <jeet_shahani () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2001-08-31 19:58:31

Hi,

Not sure if the opposite would happen.  I can tell you why..... People
who use AIM or ICQ will keep using them, because they communicate with
the people
they have been chatting with over the years and compiled a list.  It is
not easy getting it all together, getting everyone on one system, but if
i have a list on AIM, i won't be able to move my list and the people
using AIM to MSN with me.  :-)

Why do you think, people don't leave AOL?  Because they want to keep
their buddy lists, their email addresses, contact with their friends and
family, etc.  Same with Hotmail.  I will share something i don't
like.....Microsoft starts MSN Messanger everytime I check my emails at
hotmail.  Yes, I don't like it, but that doesn't mean, i am going to
change my account and move somewhere else..Before AOL is forced by the
government to open the doors for instant messaging, it makes sense to
leverage this big install base of AIM and ICQ.  I agree people might not
like it, but then again if it was a small install of 5MB or so, it would
be fine....Are the users going to stop using it because Netscape is
bundled in the product?  Of course, not!!  For <5MB of netscape install,
i am not so sure that people will change their tools, their buddy lists,
and move their family and friends to another system.....and mainly their
habits.  Not going to happen!!

If not this, AOL/Netscape can instead choose to have just an option to
install Netscape when they install ICQ or AIM......you can always put a
spin on it, but the bottom line is ..leverage what works for you and
promote other tools..This is one thing that AOL and other industry
leaders need to learn from M$..when Netscape
started bundling AIM in the browser did you stop using Netscape 4.7 or
AIM, because it was bundled!!  I don't think so...:-).  Of course, all
this defeats the prupose, if Netscape is not fast.....it back fires,
because now you have a browser on the system, but it is unusable...

I am not sure if I agree with you on the fact that Netscapes numbers
don't matter. I remember reading responses to the fact that Netscape was
being used in Sony PlaySatation2 and how great it was for mozilla
community.  Well, it isn't official mozilla-but it is the same code
base.  Having 100 million additional users on Netscape as opposed to 40
million only helps the Mozilla community, validates the process and
gives mozilla.org more of a recoginition.. Right now, majority of users
write code for IE platform.  Guess why?  The number of Internet
Explorers out there.....you think, all of a sudden people are going to
wake up and use Mozilla..specially at the huge size and the slow
performance, and the lack of numbers??  Even worse, write code for the
mozilla platform without having any significant numbers behind it?  I
doubt it....Now, imagine 100+  million people using Netscape..and guess
what people will write more XUL, Javascript, XML targetted towards IE
and Netscape(Mozilla) as opposed to just IE.  (Someone can point out the
exact numbers of users out there on each browser platform, but you see
the point i am making..)

Mozilla's goals is to provide a platform for browsers which people can
base their additional services/features on-whether it be Netscape, Sony
or any other
company or developer....It is more important for mozilla have a bigger
number of people using the same rendering mechanism and the same code base,
and not the fact that Mozilla has to be a default browser for everyone
out there......

Have a  good labor day weekend.  Oops!!  don't be celebrating April
fools already and without me..:-)

-Jeet