List:       mozilla-general
Subject:    Using Gecko as the UI for an embedded product
From:       Bryan Ryan <bryan.ryan () usa ! net>
Date:       2000-05-25 17:54:02

I am a Senior Software Engineer working at a large corporation.  I have
proposed using Gecko as the User Interface engine for the next
generation of our hardware product.  I am seeking advice on what
technologies to consider for getting data back and forth between the
server and client.

Mixing the data with the presentation and pushing it down to the browser
causes the entire UI to refresh whenever the data needs to be updated.
Ideally the UI would only refresh the data fields.

I think the ideal solution would pass XML data(cross platform) over
http(through firewalls) and would allow either the server or the browser
to initiate the message(a generic browser OnEvent handler that would
process events sent from the server?).  JavaScript on the browser could
then update the DOM without causing an entire UI refresh.

Currently, the best solution I have is to create a separate socket
connection on the side.  Does anyone have any suggestions? (RDF?
XML-RPC? WDDX?).

All thoughts and ideas welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Bryan.