List:       mozilla-general
Subject:    Annoyance: Java applets steal window focus
From:       Nathan Troxel <nathan () nidlink ! com>
Date:       1998-07-07 21:25:37

Here's one behavior that really annoys me in Navigator, and would be
great if it could be fixed.

  Let's say you are browsing ABCNews.com and while the page loads you
start another browser window to view another site.  As soon as the Java
ticker loads on the ABC News page (which was behind the window you are
using), it pops up right in front of the window that currently has
focus, and totally interrupts your browsing.

  This appears to happen with all Java applets embedded in pages, at
least on Win32.

  Is this behavior necessary for Java applets to run correctly, or
simply how Netscape happened to implement it?  I find it very
counterintuitive, as I'm sure others do.

Nathan Troxel