List:       mozilla-general
Subject:    Re: To give you an idea of QtScape code...
From:       Alex <garbanzo () hooked ! net>
Date:       1998-04-11 20:34:50

On Sat, 11 Apr 1998, Edward S. Marshall wrote:
[...]
> > It may be comercial, but to me, that makes no difference.  I'm not
> > planning on selling Mozilla, and I hope you aren't either.  Then, take a
> > look at the clean C++ code that went into converting Moz from Motif to Qt.
> > I think the Qt code is much more coherent, which is worth more than the
> > GPL is to me any day.
>
> This is where we differ then. Licensing makes a huge difference to me,
> regardless of how good the code is. Good code is easy to find. Finding
> people who are willing to make that code open to everyone isn't.
>
> And I'm not even advocating the GPL here. BSD would suit me fine. At least
> there's an open reference point that people can work from without worrying
> about licensing.

Well one can inherrit and override stuff with C++, so I think that solves
quite a few (but obviously not all) problems one might have with a license
that restricts modifications.

> > > One proprietary scheme is enough for me. I wish the GTK bunch the best
> > > of luck in their porting efforts.
> >
> > And GTK isn't proprietary? Hrm.  Where can I find source compat. GTK
> > alternatives?  Thought so.
>
> I'm not advocating the abandonment of Motif. It's in there. So be it...at
> least there's an open alternative. I'd rather see new interface efforts
> moving toward toolkits that fit the spirit of the licensing that Netscape
> released under, such as GTK's license.

Well, I on the other hand, really welcome a toolkit that's as clean and
easy to use as Qt.  I think that using C toolkits for these purposes is a
bit awkward.

> And where can I find a source compatible Qt alternative, open or
> otherwise? Thought so.

Harmony/FreeQt is underway (although this is far from an endorsment).  I
don't have any idea how far along it is though.

- alex

"We are upping our standards ... so up yours."
  - Pat Paulsen for US of A Prez, 1988.