List:       mozilla-general
Subject:    Re: How can I change Cache location?
From:       Al Rider <news () ridersite ! org>
Date:       2001-11-29 23:24:22

Pratik wrote:

> On 11/29/01 02:43 PM, Al Rider wrote:

>> Re: How can I change Cache location?
>>
>> Al Rider <news@ridersite.org>
>>
>> Thu, 29 Nov 2001 14:43:40 -0500

>> Jay Garcia <nobody@domain.nul>
>>
>> netscape.public.mozilla.general
>>

>> Appears to be OK:  "Everyone"  same as the working cache.
>>
>> Using just plain "c:" does work.  Mozilla makes a folder "cache" and
>> starts working just fine.
>>
>> First time it didn't seem to work [with the "c:"] till I deleted the
>> XUL file.  But, I'm not certain that really made a differece.
>>

> This might sound like dumb question but did you try C:\\dir1\\dir2 or
> C:\dir1\dir2. The first one is valid, the second is not.
>
> Pratik.

The question wasn't dumb; I was dumb for not checking the syntax.

One additional point: it appears you must delete the XUL.mfl file BEFORE
                opening Mozilla.  Otherwise the change to prefs reverts
back.

It's working great now!

The default cache should not be in the \Documents and Settings\user
name\Application Data\Mozilla\profiles\Default\9iyxxxxx.slt anyhow.

Requires special handling when doing backups.  e.g., can't simply backup
\Doc and Settings\*.* etc. without backing up the cache.  And who wants
to waste media and time backing up caches.

IE handles this easily in tools.

Boy it is painful trying to use Moz's composer.  The damn curser is in
the wrong place.  Line wrapping gets stuck when there is a space at the
end of a line.  No spell checker, etc.