List:       mozilla-crypto
Subject:    Re: https access on IIS crashes Navigator
From:       Eric Young <eay () cryptsoft ! com>
Date:       1998-03-30 20:24:13

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Fritz Grammer wrote:
> I know of a problem of MS IIS 3 in SSL mode, which prevents Netscape
> browsers to view HTML pages > ca. 30KB. There is no problem looking at
> those pages with MS IE. Smaller pages are no problem for NS browsers,
> either.

yes, this is an SSLv3 implementation bug :-).  The spec says records can only
by 16k in size, IIS used to alow 32k.  This I believe was cause bcause of
SSLv2/SSLv3 code interactions.  The Record size could be 32k under SSLv2.

Have a look at http://www.cryptsoft.com/ssleay/doc/vendor-bugs.html
for the list of bugs in SSL implementations.  I suspect quite a few are fixed
in current generation servers/browser.

eric