List:       mozilla-crypto
Subject:    Re: This is really driving me insane!
From:       "Hal Hildebrand \(web\)" <Hal.Hildebrand () hellblazer ! com ! remove-this ! netscape ! com
Date:       2003-04-16 22:09:06

Okay, I finally figured it out.

I had to go in an change the password on the "NSS Certificate DB" token.  Why?  I \
haven't a clue.

But at least I'm past that and into more generic JCE issues that I know I can solve \
or at least explain.

I know that my problem was mine, and could have been solved by reading some \
documentation that I obviously didn't read.

However, as a small suggestion, in the "Using the JSS" guide, or in the "JCA Provider \
Notes", or somewhere, you have a clear and concise list of what you have to do to get \
things started.  The way things are structured, you have to really try to tease out \
the information as to what's required to do just trivially simple things.

I mean, I'm not trying to use this for SSL, just Crypto - as a JCE replacement.  Why \
should I be worried about passwords (tell me). Why do I have to set the password \
after creating the databases (tell me).  Why should I have to read a document about \
SSL when I'm just trying to deal with the Crypto facilities?

Otherwise, I'm left confused in my naive and dolt-like state.

Sorry for the rant, but it was driving me insane.

> Okay, I cannot figure this out.  Could someone please tell me the obvious thing I'm \
> missing here?  I have created the db's with modutil as required.  I am initializing \
> the JSS with CryptoManager.initialize(configDir).  I then try to use this from the \
> JCE interfaces and get:
>
> org.mozilla.jss.crypto.TokenRuntimeException: unable to login to token
> at org.mozilla.jss.provider.java.security.JSSKeyPairGeneratorSpi.generateKeyPair(JSSKeyPairGeneratorSpi.java:85)
>
> If I try the NullPasswordCallback, it fails.
>
> If I list the NSS Internal PKCS #11 Module, I find:
>
> Login Type: Public (no login required)
>
> So why the heck am I getting the error indicating that the module cannot login?  \
> What simple and obvious thing am I missing?  I
know