List:       mozilla-beos
Subject:    Re: Porting kaffe
From:       Richard Hess <rhess () cthulhu ! engr ! sgi ! com>
Date:       1998-10-29 16:47:48

Nick C. wrote:

> Yeah, so I heard. I don't know if Mr. Hess has researched the
> possibility of just using Kaffe, but even if he hasn't I think those
> guys have enough work worrying about Bezilla. In any case, I would
> estimate that Kaffe will be ready a long way before Bezilla, let alone
> Japhar.

Nick,

  Yes, "Mr. Hess" has looked at Kaffe.  However at that time there
  didn't seem to be support for native threads, which I consider
  to be a an ABSOLUTE must have for a BeOS Java VM.  Japhar, while
  not quite as mature, supports native threads (either directly or
  via NSPR)...

  Personally, I really don't have a preference for which Java VM
  we use in BeZilla (as long as it supports Netscape's OJI and
  native threads).  I just know that we're going to need one
  and no one else seemed to be stepping up to the plate.  If you
  can pull off a kaffe port and meet our requirements, I'd be more
  than willing to consider using it for BeZilla...

  Once you've got the Java VM on BeOS, there's still the issue of
  getting the class libraries on BeOS.  Porting AWT will be
  nontrivial since it's needs "peers" to the native GUI toolkit.

:-l

ps.  you're right about one thing, we do have our hands full with
     getting BeZilla up and running.  However, given the recent
     changes at mozilla.org, we're now on track to be part of
     mainstream development instead of "yet another port"...

--
Richard Hess                                                           +
                                                                       +