List:       mono-winforms-list
Subject:    Re: [Mono-winforms-list] Migrating Windows C#.NET WinForms Project to OSX
From:       Baltasar =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Garc=EDa?= Perez-Schofield <baltasarq () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-07-19 12:35:48

	Hi,

> I have a C#.NET Windows Forms project which compiles, builds and runs
> without any problems on Windows. Now I'm trying to migrate it to OSX
> using Mono.
> I'm not sure why I get the exception saying that the
> requested feature isn't implemented?!?!

	When you click in the stack frame, Xamarin Studio is probably trying to open the \
corresponding source code file in order to show you where the call was done.

	Since probably you don't have the source code of WinForms installed, it fails, \
warning that the file is missing.

	Howver, the real problem is the upmost exception which is produced in SystrayAdd(), \
which is not implemented.

	There are some methods in a few libraries of the mono project which are not \
implemented. You can foresee the "problems" (missing methods such as this one, etc.) \
using Moma.

	http://www.mono-project.com/MoMA

	Execute this tool on your executables, and study the missing classes and methods, \
then try to find a workaround for that missing stuff.

	http://www.mono-project.com/MoMA_-_Issue_Descriptions

	Actually this is a known problem. You can find the corresponding bug in Ximian, at \
2008:

	http://lists.ximian.com/pipermail/mono-bugs/2008-October/080810.html

	Since it is an error detected in 2008, I wouldn't expect it to be solved. This leads \
me to the current status of Winforms, which is deprecated. This means it is not \
actually supported by Xamarin.

	So, the only solution is not to use NotifyIcon in OS/X. I don't know whether that's \
possible in your app. In this case the workaround -if possible- does not seem to be \
easy.

	Mono has various Gui toolkits available: Gtk#, WinForms...

	The only possible solution is what it is described in the page of toolkits of the \
mono project, in "alternative implementation approaches":

	http://www.mono-project.com/Gui_Toolkits

	Separate your application in core and gui. Implement two gui's, one for Mac and \
another one for Windows (using your current WinForms module).

	For mac, probably the best choice is to use Gtk#.

--
Baltasar (baltasarq@gmail.com  http://baltasarq.info/)