List:       mono-devel-list
Subject:    [Mono-devel-list] Pascal compiler
From:       Dennis Hayes <denisraytek () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2005-03-16 4:55:27

1)      If someone wants to write an open source Pascal compiler, they should do it. \
If it gets to an advanced enough state, and has the support needed, I see no reason \
why it could not be added to the Mono SVN; of course that is not my decision to make, \
but in the past similar projects such as Janet have been welcomed with open arms. \
Otherwise, it could also be put on sourceforge. Be forewarned that it will take a lot \
of work, just getting a basic Pascal compiler should be easy, but supporting more \
complex things (attributes, security (CAS), interfaces, disposability/gc, modules, \
etc) may be very difficult. For Borland compatibility, other DLLS and namespaces will \
also need to be written. Also many of the hard core Borland Pascal programmers I know \
have already made the move to C#.

2)      I have written a little bit about Chrome in my “Monkey Business” column, and \
I found out about them from this newsgroup. They have also made a lot of \
“improvements,” I especially like the “design by contract” additions. They are not \
the official Mono Pascal, nor could I ever see them becoming such. I appreciate the \
fact that they are spending time money and effort to be Mono compatible.

3)      I think giving away the command line compiler is cool and does eliminate \
*some* of the need for an open source Pascal compiler. Remember Microsoft gives away \
a command line C# compiler with the free .NET Framework. That did not stop Mono from \
writing their own C# compiler. If you really want to write a Pascal compiler, you \
should not let Chrome stop you.