List:       mono-devel-list
Subject:    Re: [Mono-devel-list] User-defined explicit conversions and	LDAP
From:       Olof_Härwell <olof.harwell () labs2 ! com>
Date:       2003-09-27 16:04:15

Thats sounds interesting. Now in times of Novell/Ximian mergers, will this \
novell-supported LDAP/C# lib be put under Mono or will it be a more of a stand-alone \
Novell.LDAP.X lib hosted by Novell Forge? If you guys needs help with the Netscape \
and MS AD testing and verification I can help you out there since we are currently \
using these in our existing product (using Microsoft.DirectoryServices + ADSI) or any \
other area.

However there still remains the issue of making Microsoft.DirectoryServices fully \
functional and preferably (IMHO anyway) without the need for external, native lib. \
Maybe the Novell effort could be split in two, with a shared core and then with two \
end-editions: one 100% Microsoft.DirectoryServices compatible and one fully-featured \
Novell.LDAP lib (FYI, the JLDAP lib implemented by Novell covers much more \
ldap-functionality than Microsoft.DirectoryServices).

Cheers
Olof

Matt Ryan wrote:
> I'm currently trying to coordinate existing open-source efforts for a C# LDAP \
> implementation with those here at Novell such that there is a good class library \
> for Mono and LDAP.
>

> -Matt Ryan
> Software Engineer
> Linux/ZEN Developer Champion
> Worldwide Developer Support
>
> Novell, Inc., the leading provider of information solutions
> http://www.novell.com

> Hi All
>
> New to the list and Mono in general I have two questions (that I got
> after starting to port my existing work to Mono):
>
> How is the status/strategy regarding LDAP in Mono?
> Should the Mono.Directory.LDAP be extended and continue to use external
> lib? Or should the Microsoft.DirectoryServices be implemented in a way
> that is doesn't use ADSI? One idea could maybe be to port the
> OpenLDAP/Novell JLDAP (http://www.openldap.org/jldap/) to c#. This would
> give use a framework that isn't dependent on any external libs. Any
> comments?
>
> Also, I couldn't get the nice User-Defined explicit cast-feature to work
> as it did in MS CLR. Is this feature not supported yet? (More info
> about it below)
>
> User-Defined Conversions Tutorial
> <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/csref/html/vcwlkuser-definedconversionstutorial.asp>
>
> 6.4.4 User-defined explicit conversions
> <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/csspec/html/vclrfcsharpspec_6_4.asp>
>
> This didn't work (wasn't called at all when it should):
> <snip>
> public static implicit operator string(ConfigurationItem item)
> {
> 	return item.Value;
> }
> </snip>

/*
  Olof Härwell
  Systems Architect
  Labs2 AB

  Direct:   +46 46 540 01 10
  Mobile:   +46 70 941 20 10
  Phone:    +46 46 13 74 25
  Fax:      +46 46 13 74 26
  Address:  Winstrupsgatan 1, SE-222 22 Lund, Sweden
  Internet: http://www.labs2.com
*/