List:       monetdb-users
Subject:    [MonetDB-users] Locality Sensitive Hashing method for Image Retrieval
From:       BOOM Bas <bboom () inf ! ed ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2012-06-18 9:28:48

Hi,

Sorry, I am new to this mailinglist and not sure this question fits, but
have I question how to optimize my queries

I am experimenting with monetdb for image retrieval, having an image
database of 300000 image.
At the moment, I am using the Locality Sensitive Hashing method and
because I understood from the
monetdb documenation that monetdb supports indexing/hash tables, which
makes the implementation
quiet easy in monetdb.

I have for each image 30 buckets with 24 bit strings (int) (should be
indexed, assume automatically done by monetdb)
I have for each image a feature vector of 1000 real values.
I have for each image a unique id together with some info like file name.

At the moment, my table is as follows

image_id, filename, bucket_1, bucket_2, bucket_3 ... bucket_30,
feature_value_1, feature_value_2, ..., feature_value_1000

For Locality Sensitive Hashing, I am performing the following sql query:

select * from table where bucket_1 = bitstring or bucket_2 = bitstring
or bucket_3 = bitstring or ... bucket_30 = bitstring (limit 1000)

These bitstrings are quiet unique, giving me around the 500 images from
the entire database.
I would also like to obtain the feature vector (so all feature values).
At the moment, query and data retrieval times depends but often take
around 0.5-1 minute, what are ways to improve this. Does using 2 tables
help or storing the feature vector in one column? Ideas are welcome.

I am using the MAPI client to retrieve the data. Happy to provide more
information if necessary

Cheers,

Bas Boom
University of Edinburgh
part of Fish4Knowledge consortium

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.