List:       monetdb-users
Subject:    Re: [MonetDB-users] allocate timing and deallocate timing of memory
From:       Niels Nes <Niels.Nes () cwi ! nl>
Date:       2008-10-07 10:34:14

On Sat, Oct 04, 2008 at 05:33:55PM +0900, gashi gashi wrote:
>    Hi, All
>
>    I'm working with MonetDB Server v5.6.0, based on kernel 1.24.0
>    over RedHat Linux Enterprise 5.2.
>    Would you tell me timing which in the memory is allocated
>    and timing in which the memory is deallocated, or is there
>    an instruction that deallocate the memory?

Gashi

I'm sorry but your question is a bit vague. MonetDB claims memory when
it needs it, it doesn't have an easy deallocate interface. It sort of
assumes its allone on your system/pc etc. There are some settings
in monetdb5.conf which control the maximum used memory. See
your monetdb5.conf for more info.

# gdk_mem_bigsize & gdk_vm_minsize will be set/limited to
# 1/2 of the physically available amount of main-memory
# during start-up in src/tools/mserver.mx
# memory chunks of size >= gdk_mem_bigsize (in bytes) will be mmaped
# anonymously
#gdk_mem_bigsize=262144
# memory chunks of size >= gdk_vm_minsize (in bytes) will be mmaped;
#gdk_vm_minsize=137438953472
# for 32 bit systems try to claim 3G of (virtual) memory;

Niels

url: http://www.cwi.nl/~niels   e-mail: Niels.Nes@cwi.nl