List:       monetdb-developers
Subject:    Re: [Monetdb-developers] Tests for XQuery admin GUI	(-functionality)
From:       Stefan Manegold <Stefan.Manegold () cwi ! nl>
Date:       2008-06-19 7:25:30

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 08:11:21AM +0200, Ying Zhang wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> There are no tests yet for the functionalities of the admin GUI and I
> agree that there is an urgent need to add them.
> One that can be easily done is adding tests containing XQuery queries
> that call the admin functions over XRPC.  This way, it is slightly
> easier to know in which part the problem is, if things go wrong.
>
> Another possibility might be to add a small (C) program that sends the
> same request messages as what the admin interface does, and check if
> the response messages are as expected.
>
> The reason that we still don't have tests for the admin GUI is that I
> really don't know how to mimic/trigger the 'click' actions in
> (different) web browsers and check if the results are expected.  So,
> if anyone has an idea how to test the admin GUI on different OS-s, on
> different (versions of) web browsers, I would love to know.

I could not think of s simple way to simulate web browser clicks,
either (well, there are tools that, e.g., record and replay interactive
sessions, but they do no easily fit into our testing environment),
but since each click results in a request sent to the server via XRPC,
using scripts and/or (C-) programs that send all relevant/used requests to
a server via XRPC and test the correctness of the result (by simply dumping
it to stdout or into a file and have Mtest/Mdiff check it as usually), would
indeed be a good starting point, and possibly even "sufficient" for the time
being.

> > OPEN:
> >
> > [ 1899258 ] PF: Error message with Administrative Console
> > https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1899258&group_id=56967&atid=482468
>
> The problem is caused by a bug in libxml2 version 2.6.31.  Since a new
> version of libxml2 has been released, this problem is solved (tested
> by the demo).  I think we can close this bug.  What would be a proper
> resolution for this bug, fixed/invalid/out-of-date?

out-of-date seems reasonable to me.

Stefan