List:       monetdb-announce
Subject:    [Monetdb-announce] Announcement: New Nov2009 feature release of
From:       Stefan Manegold <Stefan.Manegold () cwi ! nl>
Date:       2009-11-29 23:52:13

Dear all,

The MonetDB team at CWI/MonetDB BV are pleased to announce the new
"Nov2009" feature release of the MonetDB suite of programs.
This feature release is backward compatible with the previous
releases (Nov2008 through Aug2009-SP2).

Caveat 1:
In MonetDB/XQuery, we extended and improved the use of value indices on
comparisions between a value and an XPath ending in text() or attribute
access (e.g., doc(x)//x/y[z/text() = "foo"] and for $x in doc//x/y where
$x/@z = "bar" return $x); such queries do not need scanning data, but start
at the index and navigate backwards from there.
This required a change in the physical database storage. While the Nov2009
release of MonetDB/XQuery can still read older (pre-Nov2009) databases, it
is recommended to (back-up and) re-shred all documents to benefit from the
new indices and achieve optimal performance.

Caveat 2:
When upgrading from a release older than May2009 (i.e., Nov2008
through Feb2009-SP2), you need to move your write-ahead log
following the "recommended" instructions for
SQL (<http://monetdb.cwi.nl/Development/Releases/May2009/#SQL>)
and/or
XQuery (<http://monetdb.cwi.nl/Development/Releases/May2009/#XQuery>).

More information on the new release is available at
<http://monetdb.cwi.nl/Development/Releases/Nov2009/>.

The sources and binaries are available at
<http://monetdb.cwi.nl/Download/>.

Enjoy!

The MonetDB team at CWI/MonetDB BV.

--