List:       mondrian
Subject:    Re: [Mondrian] Shared levels idea.
From:       Ognjen Milic <ognjen.milic () asw ! eu>
Date:       2007-10-26 5:41:36

Julian Hyde wrote:
> Shared levels are not an idea I've come across before. Can you elaborate?
>
> Are there any other products which have this feature? I'd be especially
> interested if the products are MDX based, and to see some examples for how
> this would work in MDX.
>
> I can't promise to do anything with shared levels at this stage. The best
> thing you can do is to create an enhancement request at SF.net and to
> specify the feature. We don't need a design for how it would be implemented,
> but some MDX examples would be crucial.
>
> Julian

For an exapmple lat us analyze products. They can have e.g. manufacturer
(brand), product type and storage type. We can analyze this by three
separated hierarchies, but all of them have the same lowest level (same
table, properties etc). Hieararchies can not be mixed within the same
analysys so we can't analyze for product type sale by e.g. brand or
storage type. In order to achieve this i have divided product anda all
the others into separated one level dimensions which are then joined in
the cube. This gives the results but but then non empty cross joins give
meaningles data because product is unique in every of its parent levels.
So my proposal is to have hierarchy that can have more superior levels
of one level or let say that more levels can share the same lower level.
This hieararchy is cube like. Product is like fact table having all keys
to join with its superior levels. All analyses that include levels that
share some subordinated level would go by joining with that subordinated
level and then grouping by keys of those superior levels.

Ognjen Milic