List:       mon
Subject:    What non-SNMP monitors are people using to restart services?
From:       kyle <kyle () source ! intac ! net>
Date:       2002-11-03 20:45:21

Just wondering what non-SNMP monitors are people using to restart
services? I have right now two clients running on my servers - One to
check services and restart if needed, and the other which grabs the
output from the first client and listens on a socket which my mon servers
connect to to get status. The reason being why I do this is:

1. Dont want to run SNMP on all of my hosts for various reasons
2. Need output on also successful queries(if disk usage is ok, I still
want to be able to know what the usage is at and also log all output into
a database which I can graph).

Please dont recommend to me to use inetd for checking(as I know some
people add "df" or "ps" to inetd so a listing can be made remotely) and I
really do not want to use clients over a ssh wrapper, etc.. to restart a
service(or even to check a service).