List:       mojonation-users
Subject:    [Mojonation-users] How does the broker determine how much space is available in
From:       Shane Stenger <stenger () flash ! net>
Date:       2000-10-24 3:26:07

I was just wonder how does the broker determine how much space is available
in the block server?  For example: Does the broker calculate the total
usage of block server space by the total sum of all blocks it received (ie
actual size)?  Or does it ask the OS how much space is being used in
directory X (ie size on disk)?  The reason I'm asking is this.  If one has
a large block size set when they created the partition on their hard disk
they could in theory be wasting alot of space and actually use more than
their defined max amount in the mojonation settings.  I'm not worried about
the wasted space part as much as going over the defined max setting.

If the broker determines by what the OS returns as the size of directory X
and compares that against the max size what happens if a user under Windows
2000 compresses the directory X.  How does the OS return the size of the
directory.  In its actual size or size on disk?

What leads me to this question is quite simply I decided on a whim to
compress my mojonation folder.  I roughly cut the size of it in half.  I'll
assume this has something to do with the encrypted data being stored just
happens to be highly compressible.  If this is truly the case it may be
advantageous for users running Win2k or NT 4 to compress their Mojonation
folder if they are running a block server and be able to store more content
in the same amount of space.  (Yes I do know the potential drawbacks of
using the compression scheme of NTFS file systems.  But in this
application, unless the person's block server has super high load access,
the drawbacks are negligible compared to what one can possible gain.)

-Shane "Tanj!" Stenger