List:       mojonation-devel
Subject:    Re: [Mojonation-devel] Raph's ideas on reliability
From:       "Mojo Eddie" <mojoeddie () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2001-07-03 14:53:19

>I am even more impressed with you for the analysis of distributed
>reliability that you posted to #mojonation, which suggests that
>individual block servers should wholesale for blocks that match their
>hash more closely over blocks that are requested more frequently.

Assuming that economics are still in the system, blockservers will want to
wholesale blocks such that they increase the amount of download requests
they get from brokers (to maximize the potential for profitable contention
for bandwidth).  Exactly what strategy maximizes that depends on the
behavior of the brokers.

If brokers more heavily download from blockservers whose hashes match the
blocks they're looking for, then your suggestion is correct.  But I'm not
certain that's the most effective download strategy for brokers to follow.

Queries are fast and cheap, downloads are slow and expensive.  Furthermore,
the more blockservers a broker queries, the more she has available to choose
from when she gets around to downloading the block, increasing the chances
of getting it more quickly and cheaply.  So brokers should query as many
blockservers as possible when looking for a block; while they'll prefer the
servers with the best hash match, they won't stop with the close ones,
they'll query as widely as possible constrained only by the cost of queries
(both in Mojo and in their own resources, i.e. DoQ processing, memory, etc)
versus the marginal probability of finding another blockserver with the
block with each additional query.

But when it comes time to download the block, there will be no preference
given whatsoever to how good a match the server's hash is to the block.  The
broker will want to request the block from whichever server is the least
loaded and has the most bandwidth available.

The preference of closely matching servers in queries will tend to increase
the amount of requests those servers get for a particular block, but only to
the degree that different brokers send out different numbers of queries.
For any given number of initial queries sent by brokers, all servers that
are "that close or closer" will be equally frequently queried for the block.

Likewise, servers that are close to the block will not be favored during the
downloading process.  Instead, the traffic will tend to be distributed
evenly among all servers that are "that close or closer" (weighted by the
servers' available bandwidth, of course).

Servers should want to retain blocks based on their profitability, which is
a function of how frequently that server sees queries for the block versus
how many other servers get queries for it and have it available to download.
  Retention based on profitability ensures that blocks are stored on as many
servers as their popularity demands, and thus ensures that disk space in the
Nation is being used efficiently.

To the degree that servers retain based on hash closeness rather than
profitability, the Nation's disk storage will be used that much less
efficiently.

  - Mojo Eddie