List:       moderncrypto-curves
Subject:    [curves] Same Value Analysis on Edwards Curves
From:       mike () shiftleft ! org (Michael Hamburg)
Date:       2015-07-27 19:29:17

Wait, did I miss something?  Have Edwards curves been broken?

The linked paper did not break Edwards curves, and didn?t use any sort of ?shift \
properties? as far as I know.  (What does that even mean?)  It?s not specific to \
Edwards either: it?s a port of a certain side-channel attack which was already known \
for other curve shapes.

It?s also not clear whether Edwards curves are more or less dangerous with respect to \
this particular attack.  The fastest formulas for Edwards happen to use fewer powers \
of Z than a typical Jacobian implementation, which might give more attack \
opportunities for SVA.  But they are also shorter, which makes them intrinsically \
more resistant to SVA and ZVP.  Also, confining points to subgroups might mitigate \
the attacks and this isn?t possible in a prime-order curve.  Finally, RPA/ZVP \
probably reduces Edwards? curves? advantage from unified formulas, but they can?t \
possibly be worse than Weierstrass in this regard.

As for special properties, this is conceivable.  But as far as I?m aware, nobody has \
published any reason to believe that such an attack exists.  Also, some special \
properties ought not to help too much.  For example, every curve is an Edwards curve \
over some extension field, so just being an Edwards curve ought not to lead to a \
subexponential attack.  I?ve heard speculation that Solinas primes might be somehow \
weak, but I?ve never seen an outline of how an attack on them might work.

The Brainpool curves are relatively unoptimized, particularly in their original form \
without the isogeny to a=-3.  Of course, you could always add more random \
coefficients to make everything even less optimized.

Cheers,
? Mike