List:       mod-security-users
Subject:    [mod-security-users] Core Rule Set v4.0.0 RC1 available
From:       Walter Hop <modsec () spam ! lifeforms ! nl>
Date:       2022-04-28 19:40:18

The OWASP ModSecurity Core Rule Set team is proud to announce the Release Candidate 1 \
for the upcoming CRS v4.0.0 release.

The release candidate is available from our installation page: \
https://coreruleset.org/installation/

CRS 4 contains many important changes, such as:

- A plugin architecture for extending CRS and minimizing attack surface. Application \
exclusion sets and less-used functionality have been migrated from the CRS to \
                plugins: https://coreruleset.org/docs/configuring/plugins/
- Early blocking: https://coreruleset.org/20220302/the-case-for-early-blocking/
- Granular control over reporting levels
- All formerly PCRE-only regular expressions have been updated to be compatible with \
                Re2/Hyperscan WAF engines
- We now publish nightly packages of the development branch: \
                https://github.com/coreruleset/coreruleset/releases
- We refactored and renamed the anomaly scoring variables and paranoia level \
                definitions
- HTTP/0.9 support has been dropped to resolve false positives.

CRS 4 contains many new detections:

- Detect Log4j / Log4Shell
- Detect Spring4Shell
- Detect JavaScript prototype pollution
- Detect common webshells by inspecting response
- Detect path traversal in file upload
- Detect common IP-based SSRF targets
- Detect email protocol attacks
- Improved RCE detection
- Improved SQLi detection
- Expanded blocklists to prevent access to AWS cli files, /proc and /sys files, and \
                many other sensitive files
- Detect many new scanners and bots

CRS 4 also contains many improvements to lower the amount of false alarms. Also, we \
fixed a number of bypasses in existing rules. We also addressed various performance \
and ReDoS issues.

A lot of effort also went into improving our test suite, so that 100% of our rules \
are now covered by tests!

Finally, we have worked on creating extensive documentation about all aspects of the \
CRS. You can find it under the Documentation section of our website: \
https://coreruleset.org/docs/. If you would like to make improvements, please go to \
the repository https://github.com/coreruleset/documentation/ and submit your pull \
request!

For those wanting to try CRS 4, it is important to quickly touch upon the new plugin \
architecture. Some parts of CRS 3, such as the application exclusion rules \
(WordPress, Drupal, etc.), were split off into "plugins". As an admin, you can choose \
to install plugins or leave them out. In this way, we can more swiftly update plugins \
(for instance to deal with application updates), and we decrease the attack surface \
for admins who are not interested in their functionality. If you used the application \
exclusions in CRS 3, you will need to download the relevant plugin files and put them \
in your plugins subdirectory in CRS 4. See here for extended information about \
working with plugins: https://coreruleset.org/docs/configuring/plugins/

Please see the CHANGES file for a full list of the more than 200 changes, \
improvements and fixes: \
https://github.com/coreruleset/coreruleset/blob/v4.0/main/CHANGES. Each CHANGES entry \
links to the relevant pull requests, so you can dive into the specifics of a certain \
change.

If you try out our release candidate, we will be very eager to receive your feedback. \
You can report any issues on GitHub: \
https://github.com/coreruleset/coreruleset/issues/new/choose. Be sure to mention the \
CRS version, so we can handle RC issues as quickly as possible. Depending on the \
feedback, we will possibly release more Release Candidates, while we get a firmer \
picture and finalize our schedule for the final release.

If you have questions, the quickest way to get in touch with us directly is to join \
the #coreruleset channel on the OWASP Slack: \
https://coreruleset.org/20181003/owasp-crs-slack/

I want to thank all our developers and outside contributors for helping us make the \
best CRS version yet!

Kind regards,
Walter Hop
Core Rule Set Co-Lead