List:       moblin-dev
Subject:    Re: [Moblin Dev] Window transparency on Moblin OS (ClutterStage
From:       Chris Lord <chris () linux ! intel ! com>
Date:       2010-03-26 10:15:57

Hey Peter,

That is right, you want both of those functions - basically, you want
something like this:

ClutterActor *stage;
ClutterColor color_with_trans = { 0xff, 0xff, 0xff, 0xa0 };

clutter_x11_set_use_argb_visual (TRUE);
clutter_init (&argc, &argv);

stage = clutter_stage_get_default ();
clutter_stage_set_use_alpha (CLUTTER_STAGE (stage), TRUE);
clutter_stage_set_color (CLUTTER_STAGE (stage), &color_with_trans);

clutter_actor_show (stage);

clutter_main ();

Note, it's important that the set_use_argb_visual be called before
clutter_init. Setting the opacity on the stage will alter the opacity of
everything drawn on it, but you can use the alpha component of a colour
to set a transparent stage background and still have fully opaque actors
on top of it (as above).

Mx's MxWindow object already calls clutter_stage_set_use_alpha, but you
still need to call clutter_x11_set_use_argb_visual (as you can see in
the test-deform-texture test).

Of course, you'll need a compositor for this to work properly (but it
does fall back gracefully).

Hope that helps,

--Chris