List:       moblin-dev
Subject:    Re: [Moblin Dev] Moblin 2.1 Install Crash
From:       "Wichmann, Mats D" <mats.d.wichmann () intel ! com>
Date:       2010-01-27 17:17:54

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On 1/27/2010 8:25, Clayton Tino wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 3:32 AM, Ameya
> Palande<2ameya@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>

>>> Did you try having /home on ext3 file system instead of FAT32?
>>>

>> No,  I did not try mounting /home on a ext3 partition as I want the
>> windows installation to be able to read/write the partition as well.
>> I did, however, allow the Moblin installer format the drive as vfat
>> during the partitioning process.
>
> I sort of doubt vfat for home is going to work.
> vfat has some restrictions on file names (iirc, filenames
> cannot start with a dot) that is just not compatible with linux.

there's a windows driver that's reputed to be able to read ext2/3
filesystems.  I had this recommended to be by several people, but
it didn't work our for me - www.fs-driver.org - I've struggled with
an external device that needs to be shared between Linux and Windows.
It seems it's an old project that may have gotten a bit stale, it
doesn't like current filesystems which are created with a larger
inode size, and it doesn't pay attention to the journal (suggesting
ext2 would be the best choice) and it didn't like my experiments at
all, no matter what I did.  But it seems to have worked for some
people, and could be another approach to pursue - instead of having
Linux understand the windows filesystem, have Windows understand
the Linux filesystem.