List:       moblin-dev
Subject:    [Moblin Dev] is GFileMonitor the best practice method for listening
From:       John Utz <john () utzweb ! net>
Date:       2009-11-28 22:42:07

Hi;

I am attempting to write an app that 'does something' when the user inserts a flash \
drive or a mmc card or what have you.

It's obvious that the moblin desktop is aware of the insertion because it tosses up a \
file browser showing the contents of the device shortly after it has been inserted.

Obviously, hal, dbus, libusb, etc have some awareness of this happening and \
communicates it to the desktop. But i'd prefer to stay as high up the stack as \
possible and use desktop events that are hopefully accessible via g_signal() and \
friends, assuming such a thing exists.

I have not found anything that looks like that yet, however, based on my reading \
today, GFileMonitor seems to be the API that will give me the info that i need.

Am I on the right path? is there a better way to do this?

tnx in advance for any information you can provide!

johnu