List:       moblin-dev
Subject:    Re: [Moblin Dev] VMware Player cannot found kernel headers
From:       "Wichmann, Mats D" <mats.d.wichmann () intel ! com>
Date:       2009-03-30 12:41:23

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> Pering, Trevor wrote:
>> This is the same problem I am having. /lib/modules/<version>/build
>> is a link to /usr/src/kernels/<version> which does not exist (for
>> the netbook build), and doesn't seem to be in the yum database
>> anywhere...
>

> if you install the kernel-netbook-devel package it'll be there
>
> btu note that VMWare apparently has not ported their player to 2.6.29
> yet.....

as someone who has battled this for years, I can say that virtually
every new kernel will have some problem that "breaks" vmware, which
is an outgrowth of the fact that the drivers that have to be
compiled are not in the mainline kernel, and thus are subject to
breakage because of the assumptions that are made.   New releases
roll up the last few kernels, but then we start again.

There's a little progress in this direction, there's now an open
project for the drivers, but I've found it hard to integrate into
an installation of vmware workstation (or player), and it's still
not in kernel mainline.

Main advice: when it breaks, go hunt on the vmware forums,
someone usually has an answer pretty quickly.