List:       moblin-dev
Subject:    Re: [Moblin Dev] Moblin V2 for older hardware ?
From:       Glen Gray <glen.gray () lincor ! com>
Date:       2009-01-30 10:36:04

On 29 Jan 2009, at 16:19, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> Glen Gray wrote:
> > >
> > > actually it's a mix of things we created our selves, packages we
> > > borrow from
> > > Fedora and packages we borrow from OpenSUSE. The trend certainly
> > > is that
> > > more and more is going to be our packaging.
> > How do you currently manage the files that are installed by the
> > rpm ? I've been wondering the same for the OLPC project too as
> > they're mostly based of Fedora with only a few custom packages. In
> > a previous life I made an embedded OS from RedHat 7.2 by basically
> > editing all the rpm spec files that we where going to use and only
> > including the files we wanted in the %files section, we broke out
> > the remaining files into a separate <package>-buildhost rpm. Worked
> > well, but it was a lengthy process.
>
> we found early on that just getting dependencies sane gave us a
> bunch of space,
> but that going for the last 10Kb for each package was an incredible
> amount of work,
> work we were not prepared to invest for that little amount of gain,
> and that it also
> has a relatively large usability pain ("what do you mean, no man
> pages")
>
> Whats your storage requirement?

At the moment, on the STB we've a 1Gb CF device. By creating a
specific package list and passing it to yum to install, we're able to
have a filesystem that has more than what we need at about 700M or so
after all the dependencies have been pulled in. That could be easily
trimmed down with in depth work on the rpm packages etc. but like you
said, the amount of effort to get that last 20% of space is about 80%
of the work. Storage is cheap and abundant and it doesn't make sense.
On the RedHat 7.2 based product I mentioned, back in 2001 era, we had
a 32M flash storage, so it was important then to save as much space as
possible. That company went bust on the post .dotcom it crash but it
was a cool product. There's a small PDF overview of it here, \
http://www.bastionit.ca/antefacto/antefacto-s1000-datasheet.pdf

Kind Regards,
--
Glen Gray <glen.gray@lincor.com>         Digital Depot, Thomas Street
Software Engineering Manager                        Dublin 8, Ireland