List:       moblin-dev
Subject:    [Moblin Dev] USB creation in Windows
From:       "Spencer, Bob" <bob.spencer () intel ! com>
Date:       2009-01-29 6:10:21

A note on Moblin v2 --> USB image writing in Windows.  I read of some folks having \
trouble creating the USB drive on Windows.  I found out a few things.  I have 2 USB \
drives >=512MB, 2 Windows PCs, and 2 netbooks (Asus Aspire One and Acer EeePC).

Both USB drives work when 'dd' in Linux and both Netbooks boot successfully.  (if the \
USB drive is unmouned first) Only 1 USB drive would work in Windows and it would take \
15+mins to create (yawn).

Change:
  > dd bs=4M if=<image file> of=<drive> --progress

add "bs=4M" and "--progress"
The bs=SIZE writes large chunks at a time
--progress shows the number of bytes as they're written.

With the change both USB drives work on both Netbooks and writing time is 1min 13sec \
on my slower box.  I also tried bs=16M but the time was almost identical to 4M just \
had fewer progress updates.

I updated the website with the information.  Comments welcome.
Bob