List:       moblin-dev
Subject:    [Moblin Dev] Problems with Marvell 8686_v9
From:       Dani Baeyens <dani () warp ! es>
Date:       2008-11-12 9:22:28

Hi all,

I've noticed some weird problems with a device I'm using with a Marvell
8686_v9 wifi module. It seems that if I try to switch it on and/or off
and/or to deepsleep too quickly, or send commands to the module before
it is completely ready, it crashes the kernel with random behaviors
after that (keyboard hangs, suspend mode not working, etc)

As far as I know, when the driver is loaded, firmware is downloaded to
the module, and after that, it comes available to the system.

I've tried without success:
 - to "sleep" my application for some seconds until the firmware should
be running
 - to wait for an existing /proc/net/wlan/info (although I think this is
not reliable because some times it shows uninitializated values)
 - to wait for an existing /sys/class/net/wlan0 device

How can I safely know that the module is up and running correctly?

The image is based on moblin 1.0 (with kernel version 2.6.22). I think
there have been some improvements on the support of this card, and maybe
I was thinking that this patch[0] could be related to the way the
firmware is downloaded.

Does someone know what could be happening?

[0]http://www.mail-archive.com/commits@moblin.org/msg00110.html

Thank you and kind regards,
--
Daniel Baeyens      <dbaeyens at warp dot es>
Warp Networks S.L.     http://www.warp.es/