List:       mlmmj
Subject:    Re: List creation in the perl-admin web interface
From:       Christian Laursen <xi () borderworlds ! dk>
Date:       2005-06-22 9:43:21

Marcus Rueckert <mrueckert@suse.de> writes:

> On Wednesday, 22. June 2005 10:54, Christian Laursen wrote:
>
> > It will probably require mlmmj-make-ml to be a suid root binary,
> > preferably only installed suid root if enabled by an option to the
> > configure script or similar.
>
> It does not have to be suid root. it could be suid mailinglist/maildrop group.
> and the group has write permissions to the mailinglist basedir.

Currently our configuration has control owned by the www user and the
rest of the listdir owned by mlmmj. However I think control could be
owned by mlmmj too if it is made group writable.

> > Since the unprivileged user can't do any postprocessing on the created
> > listdir there will have to be some support for running a custom script
> > to do that. The custom script should also take care of adding an alias
> > to the mail configuration.
>
> you could use a special alias file which is writable by the group too. and
> include it into your mta config. Most distros do that with mailman e.g..

Sure, but can you do it in a way that is general enough to satisfy all
setups? Furthermore we have to be careful not to break old
installations too much.

--
Christian Laursen