List:       mjpeg-users
Subject:    Re: [Mjpeg-users] animated screen shot
From:       Bernhard Praschinger <shadowlord () utanet ! at>
Date:       2011-01-29 6:57:06

Hallo

tony.chamberlain@lemko.com wrote:
> I needed to make an animated screen shot (e.g., like a movie) of my terminal
> to send to someone.  I found
> http://linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/03/04/screen_capture_movies.html
> which works ok in general.  It uses image magic "convert" to convert a bunch
> of miff files into an mpeg.  Theoretically this should work but after a
> while it gives me an error message like "delegate mpeg2encode failed .. not
> found".
That is a fairly old howto.

> I did a search for mpeg2encode for Linux CentOS 4.8 (what my machine is
> currently at) but could not find it.  I did find mpeg2enc from the mjpeg
> package.  So I built it and linked it, but it was called incorrectly.
>
> The original mpeg2encode is called as
>       mpegencode inputfile outputfile
After 2004 the style of mpeg2nec has changed a lot. You can still
download the old 1.6.2 from sourceforge, if you can build it it should
work.

> however, mpeg2enc has different parameters.  I figured out to use "-o output"
> for the output file name, but I cannot figure out what parameter to
> specify for the input (I made a dummy mpeg2encode to call mpeg2enc the
> correct way).  I tried
>
>      cat inputfile | mpeg2enc -o outputfile
> and
>      mpeg2enc -o outputfile inputfile
>
> but both give errors about YUV or something like that.
The format has changed from simple yuv piping to a header with yuv.

> What is the correct way to call mpeg2enc analagous to
>     mpeg2encode input output
Hard question. What kind of pictures can you produce ?
If you can get simple pictures you can pipe them directly to mjpeg2enc
with a command like that:
cat *.ppm | ppmtoy4m -o 75 -n 60 -F 25:1 | mpeg2enc -o output.m1v
or: convert *.gif ppm:- | ppmtoy4m | yuvplay

If you get only a video mplayer can play back you are lucky too, because
you can create valid yuv with mplayer.

You find the information about creating videos from other source in the
mjpegtools wiki here:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/mjpeg/index.php?title=Creating_videos_from_other_sources

auf hoffentlich bald,

Berni the Chaos of Woodquarter