List:       mjpeg-users
Subject:    [Mjpeg-users] Build on Debian unstable amd64 fails
From:       Santiago Vila <sanvila () unex ! es>
Date:       2008-07-03 11:09:59

Hello.

I'm trying to build 1.9.0 rc3 on a Debian unstable system. Since there are
already debian/* files in place, I'm trying to use them. However, it's
not so easy: Just after unpacking the tarball and installing all
the build-dependencies, I do this:

dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -us

and this is what happens:

[...]
dpkg-checkbuilddeps: failure: cannot read debian/control: No such file or directory

If the intent is to provide a source tarball which also serves as a
Debian source package, then this is a bug. Every Debian source package
should have a debian/control file. Please include this file in rc4.

Ok, by looking at the build system it seems the debian/control file is
generated by ./configure, so I run ./configure, take the debian/control
file, remove everything, unpack the original tarball from scratch, and put
the debian/control file in place.

Then I try again and this is what happens at the end:

[...]
dh_movefiles: debian/inst-x86_64/usr/lib/pkgconfig not found (supposed to put it in libmjpegtools-dev)
dh_movefiles: debian/inst-x86_64/usr/bin not found (supposed to put it in mjpegtools)

I can solve the first error by removing the line "usr/lib/pkgconfig"
from debian/libmjpegtools-dev.files

Removing "usr/bin" from debian/mjpegtools.files is not an option for
the second error, because then none of the generated .deb files have
any binaries in /usr/bin. There seems to be a bug somewhere here.

Thanks.