List:       mjpeg-users
Subject:    Re: [Mjpeg-users] Sound issues ...
From:       Bernhard Praschinger <shadowlord () utanet ! at>
Date:       2008-05-05 14:50:02

Hallo

>>> Than I would guess that it is a mixer problem with lavrec and the mixer
>> Another thing to consider is that arecord uses the ALSA API, while
>> lavrec still, I assume, uses ALSA's OSS emulation layer. The same
>> experiment with an OSS recording application (sox?) could be
>> enlightening.
>  I can confirm this seems to be a problem with the OSS emulation ... I
> was messing around with another capture device that I also just don't
> seem to be having any joy with capturing video, but the audio is
> coming through great ...
It really seems that the OSS emulation is not perfect. Certain "cards"
do not work properly.

>  So, how hard would it be to get lavrec and/or lavplay to use the ALSA
> API instead of the old and aging OSS interface?
It should not be that hard.
According to Ronald, it should not take longer than a day. If you know
alsa and from the mjpegtools liblavrec, and audiolib.

lavrec and lavplay use the liblavrec. So there shouldn't be much changes
needed in that two programs.

If someone wants to give it a try, just do it.

auf hoffentlich bald,

Berni the Chaos of Woodquarter

Email: shadowlord@utanet.at
www: http://www.lysator.liu.se/~gz/bernhard