List:       mjpeg-users
Subject:    [Mjpeg-users]  lavplay audio still not working
From:       "Janos G. Komaromi" <janosk () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2008-05-03 3:00:30

Dear developers and users of mjpegtools,

I still do not have sound when trying to play a video clip with lavplay.
It plays well with any other Linux or windows application, but lavplay
starts with a short burst of distorted sound and then nothing. The video
goes through but the speaker is mute.

I have done a lot of clean up on my system in the past few months and
learned quite a bit about Linux. I have alsa installed in the kernel and
it also has oss emulation (/dev/dsp). I have recompiled a lot of stuff,
including mjpoegtools and everything (mplayer, audacity, etc.) work just
as well as before. Same thing: I can record video clip with mjpegtools
but when playing it back there is no sound, even though sound was
recorded correctly as evidenced by playing the same clip with mplayer.

I begin to think that this problem is a bug and has nothing to do with
my soundcard. I can play wav file with audacity using either /dev/dsp or
alsa. The /dev/dsp is a memory mapped device; fuser only lists it with
fuser -m. Yet, lavplay requires the -U option not to crash. But then
there is no sound.

I'd appreciate any ideas that help.

Thanks,

jankom