List:       mjpeg-users
Subject:    Re: [Mjpeg-users] workaround (PPC) for mpeg2enc's buggyness
From:       <herve.flores () free ! fr>
Date:       2008-01-25 9:49:55

Le 22 janv. 08 à 22:53, Mark Heath a écrit :

> On 23/01/2008, at 5:16 AM, Florin Andrei wrote:
>
>> Mark Heath wrote:
>>>
>>> Anyway I've been using the mpeg2 encoder in ffmpeg and have been
>>> happy with the results.
>>
>> I asked recently on their mailing list if they solved the rate
>> control
>> issues and they said no.
>>
>> Kind of a big issue if the target media is DVD.
>

> I use a max rate of 8500 (rather than the DVD specified limit of
> 9800) and never had problems during muxing or had the files rejected
> by authoring software.

Perhaps somebody can explain to me the meaning of mplex verbose,
I have sometimes "freezes" on my dvd player (and I suspect too high
bitrate)

the mpeg2 reports no problem during muxing (with some muxers, dvd
authoring softs, etc)
but mplex says something like that:

mplex -f 8 input.m2v ... -o output.mpg
[...]
Peak bit-rat: 11814400

This peak is > 10 080 000 kb/s (the maximum "size" of video for DVD)
it's just a warning and not an error.
I took a look the stream and my other tools/softs didn't detect an
"overflow" (resulting stream seems to be ≤ 10 080 000).

Somebody understand this warning? mplex is right or does it means
anything else? (aka the result is compliant with dvd-specf or not?)
...rate control is always a problem (bigger in ffmpeg but present in
mpeg2enc too)
bye

Hervé