List:       mjpeg-users
Subject:    Re: [Mjpeg-users] keyframe automation with yuv4mpegpipe-style tools
From:       Mark Heath <mark () silicontrip ! net>
Date:       2007-08-30 4:50:20

On 30/08/2007, at 1:06 PM, David McNab wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 00:20 +1200, David McNab wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a sane way to perform, with the various yuv4mpegpipe-based
>> tools, something comparable to the keyframe-based automation found in
>> graphical video editors such as Cinelerra?
>
> I had a thought on how this could be achieved with a simple protocol,
> implemented in the respective y4 tools.
>
> Imagine if a y4 tool could accept a command line option such as
>
>  '-automate <filename>'
>
> and if the file given has one or more lines of the form:
>
>  frame_no -option1 value1 -option2 value2 ...
>
> where 'frame_no' is the frame number from which a new set of options
> should take effect, and '-option1 value1...' is one or more options
> normally accepted by that tool.
>
> Then, dynamic settings changes over time could be a fairly
> straightforward matter.
>
> The downside of this is that each of the y4 tools would need to be
> hacked into new versions which support this scheme, hopefully not too
> difficult a task.

I wouldn't see that as the case.
Most of the yuv tools read from stdin and write to stdout,
this automation command could act like a shell which executes
different command depending on the frame count.

my guess is that the automate script simply lists the frame number
and then the command, including any option to have them read from
stdin and write to stdout

0 yuvdenoise -m 8,12,12
25 yuvdeinterlace
275 yuvdenoise -m 8,12,12

This seems relatively straight forward, unless I've misunderstood
what is being described here.

Mark