List:       mjpeg-users
Subject:    [Mjpeg-users] building tools statically
From:       rjpp () mega ! ist ! utl ! pt
Date:       2007-04-12 2:26:51

Hi,

I was trying to build the mjpegtools statically. By this I mean that I
want to generate static binaries in my onw machine to be able to send
them to another system where there is a different version of glibc and
I can not install any kind of libraries.

I have tried the following:

export LDFLAGS=-static

as well as combining this with

./configure --enable-static-build

However neither give me static binaries, although they do not depend
on any of the .so from libmjpeg they do use a shared glibc. What I
have noticed is that although libtool is called with -static the next
line generated by libtool does not include the -static therefor not
producing a static binary. Looking up libtool man page it seemed to be
that I should put LDFLAGS=-all-static, however that breaks the
configure, because it tries to use LDFLAGS when testing if gcc is able
to generate binaries. And -all-static is not a valid gcc flag.

To test my solution I added a -all-static after the configure into the
makefile for some of the binaries and it worked. This is however a
evil hack and should be fixed.