List:       mjpeg-users
Subject:    Re: [Mjpeg-users] Problem with mpeg generated with mjpegtools and
From:       "Steven M. Schultz" <sms () 2BSD ! COM>
Date:       2006-11-23 0:36:24

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006, Delio Pereira Guimaraes wrote:

> > 	And I thought 1GB was small :)
>
> I only buy used processors and mainboards. I think buying a new one is

	That's fine - just buy some used memory to go with the mainboard :)

	It would make a huge difference in the speed of the system.

> > 	But how long does Xine need to play the file?
>
> Yes, it plays correctly. After 17:45 minutes, I have an indication of 15:00 in
> xine. So, 33 minutes would spend about 40 minutes, which is correct.

	Wow -that is strange, would see to indicate a possible problem with the
	the file (timestamps).  Or a problem with Xine.  Does the 15:00 location
	match a 'chapter point' perhaps?

> With kino, I exported raw DV to DV type 2 with "OpenDML AVI" so it could be
> read in avidemux.
> In avidemux, I converted the above file to mpeg using the option of ffmpeg, 2
> pass and audio as AC3.
> Now this file (is it cbr?) shows 40 minutes in mplayer *but* the same 33

	No, MPEG-2 is variable bitrate.  It is possible with some encoders
	to force constant bitrate by placing padding bits into the stream but
	usually that is not done (and just wastes space :))

> minutes in xine. But now I managed to make chapters in qdvdauthor as I see a
> duration of 40 minutes in it, so I managed to burn a DVD.

	I get the feeling that there is something not quite right with the
	version of Xine that is being used.

	Hmmm, if you watch the DVD using MPlayer with the On Screen Display
	of the time enabled what happens?

> Still, mpeg2dec shows fewer frames of this file than original type2 DV which
> had 73313 frames.
> 72653 frames decoded in 274.45 seconds (264.72 fps)

	2 seconds or ~60 frames.  I do not know where they are going.  One
	theory would be that a process is buffering frames and exiting without
	making sure the buffers are flushed - this would make the movie short
	by a few frames but not affect the A/V sync during the movie.

	Maybe the frames were lost during the conversion from 'raw' to
	Type 2 AVI.  I do not know.

> [delio@isabel ~]$ lav2yuv /video/natype1001.avi | mpeg2enc -b 9570 -f 8 -q
> 4 -4 1 -2 1 -r 32 -g 6 -G 18 -B 260 -K tmpgenc -o vid_natype1.m2v
> **ERROR: [lav2yuv] Error opening /video/natype1001.avi
>    INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING EXTENDED MMX for MOTION!
>    INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING SSE and MMX for TRANSFORM!
>    INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING EXTENDED MMX for PREDICTION!
> **ERROR: [mpeg2enc] Could not read YUV4MPEG2 header: system error (failed
> read/write)!

	Hmmm, is mjpegtools built with DV support?  You'll need to have
	libdv installed and detected during the ./configure of mjpegtools.

	lav2yuv can't open the file probably because DV support is missing - at
	least that's my guess.

> [delio@isabel ~]$ smil2yuv /video/natype1001.avi | mpeg2enc -b 9570 -f 8 -q
> 4 -4 1 -2 1 -r 32 -g 6 -G 18 -B 260 -K tmpgenc -o vid_natype1.m2v
>    INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING EXTENDED MMX for MOTION!
>    INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING SSE and MMX for TRANSFORM!
>    INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING EXTENDED MMX for PREDICTION!
> *** glibc detected *** smil2yuv: malloc(): memory corruption: 0x08937cd8 ***
> **ERROR: [mpeg2enc] Could not read YUV4MPEG2 header: system error (failed
> read/write)!

	Which version of smilutils do you have?  If you already mention this
	I forgot (memory failure ;)).  Is smilutils built to use libdv or
	ffmpeg's libavcodec for DV decoding?

*** glibc detected *** smil2yuv: malloc(): memory corruption: 0x08937cd8 **

	means smil2yuv is corrupting malloc'd buffers somewhere and the
	program is aborting.

	If you're not using the latest smilutils from CVS then  maybe that
	would fix the problem.  smil2yuv should be able to read the file
	without a problem.

	Good Luck.

	Cheers,
	Steven Schultz