List:       mjpeg-users
Subject:    Re: [Mjpeg-users] DC10plus + Ubuntu dapper 6.06
From:       "Ronald S. Bultje" <rbultje () ronald ! bitfreak ! net>
Date:       2006-09-17 7:58:59

Hi Diego,

On Fri, 2006-09-15 at 12:18 -0700, Diego Algorta Casamayou wrote:
[..]
> 2006/9/15, Diego Algorta Casamayou <diego.algorta@gmail.com>:
> > 2. This is what matters because I want to digitalize some VHS videos.
> > I can record with lavrec but it wouldn't autodetect the input so I'm
> > having to specify it. BUT, even that way the recorded video shows only
> > black with lavplay. Also, for some reason I don't understand I have to
> > specifu -a 0 for lavrec to work.

The first is most likely unrelated, although it sounds kind of odd. What
display driver are you using? If you're using nvidia with their binary
driver, try the opensource driver. Same for ATI. We want to make sure
it's a bug we can track. If it keeps crashing, please try "xawtv -noxv",
which may or may not make a difference.

As for this problem, please first try to see if there is anything in the
recorded video. Do this by playing back using "lavplay -pS file.avi",
which will playback using software rendering. If all you see is black,
recording is problematic, else playback is. Given the autodetection, I'd
say recording is an issue. If possible, use "xawtv -noxv" (as said
above) to scan for input. Also make sure the jack is in the input, not
the output, of the DC10+ (this may sound stupid, but please double check
it). If all that is fine, please ensure that there is actually signal
coming out of the jack by attaching it to a TV or so.

The -a0 is because your soundcard driver doesn't support mmap()-based
capture. Try using the -U option to workaround it, now sound should work
fine. As for lavplay, there is a patch in CVS to add the same -U option,
or you can use -a0 to skip sound during playback.

Cheers,
Ronald