List:       mjpeg-users
Subject:    Re: [Mjpeg-users] data will arrive too late
From:       "Steven M. Schultz" <sms () 2BSD ! COM>
Date:       2006-08-26 3:39:31

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006, David Highley wrote:

> First, thank you very much for the respones and helpful information.

	You're welcome.   Good to know the words aren't going un-read ;)

> As it turns out, ffmeg does have an option:
> -maxrate bitrate
>
> But the nuvexport Perl scripts do not provide an option for limiting the
> bit rate.

	Should be trivial to edit a script to put an option or two in for
	specifying the rate.

> If I knew a shorter A to B route I would take it. I'm about 18 months
> into this personal video recording adventure. It took 6 months to get
> the cards working the first time before kernel and driver updates broke
> everything...

	Oh, there is a shorter way.  Doesn't involve linux though.  But
	then neither does it involve virii-inc (aka windoze).

> > 	Which card is this?  A WinTV or similar Bt8x8 card?
>
> WinTV card from ATI.

	Ok - that'd be a Brooktree 878 or similar (I know Hauppauge used
	the Bt878 in the last one of their cards I dabbled with eons ago).

	Haven't done  much recording of TV myself since 1) other than an
	occasional show on PBS there's nothing worth watching and 2) I have
	an external ATSC receiver with a ieee1394 port - get the transport
	stream directly (much like a PCHDTV card but more convenient ;)).

> > 	I saw mention of a HD5500 recently.
>
> Replacement for the HD3000 which is no longer available.

	And of course the usual driver growth/development pains to go thru.
	Nice thing I noticed about the 5500 is that it's a universal PCI card
	and can run in either 3.3 or 5v PCI slots.  Just in time  for PCI
	slots to be slowly fading away in favor of PCI-Express - sigh.

> It seems to be the best of the 3 choices for nuvexport; ffmpeg,
> transcode, mencoder.

	Actually from ffmpeg you should be able to get 'yuv4mpeg' output and
	that can be fed into a mjpegtools pipeline.  And that, I think, would
	be a Good Thing.

	Good Luck with the PVR efforts

	Cheers,
	Steven Schultz